Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit and leave with a smile! Love Thea x

Wednesday, 15 August 2012

Sprucing up the Kitchen Chairs*~*

I saw these chairs outside a C S in  Cornwall a couple of years ago, 4 chairs for £20,
we were in the middle of selling the cottage, but I thought I would buy them anyway, as  I could  always resell them if I didn't use them, so I just stored them in the loft until we moved,
They fitted  perfectly around our kitchen table in our new home. So now I thought it was high time I spruced them up,
As Annie Sloan paint seems to be the new kid on the block I thought I would give her a go,  and it went on very well, I did lightly sand and wash down the chairs first before painting, then finished them by brushing on the wax and buffing






Then I turned to the seats, they came out easy enough, but getting the old covers off was a bit tricky as they had two rows of rusted old tacks and bent over pins, one by one I prised them out, it was like pulling teeth!
The chairs where older than I first thought, each one is numbered and has the makers initials J P stamped on it.

The wadding inside had disintegrated, so I replaced it with some firm cushion filler and covered it with a piece of quilt batting, for the finishing layer I used  Laura Ashley upholstrey fabric that I bought ages ago ( a remnant) I knew it would come in handy one day!
There all clean  and tidy .....( I hope J P likes what I have done to his chairs)


17 comments:

  1. They look lovely Thea. A lovely colour and a beautiful print!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Thea,
    The chair makeover looks super. I love the Laura Ashley seat cover especially.
    June

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a transformation! They look wonderful, hope they will give you many years of usage.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow such a transformation, beautiful job :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a really lovely transformation. When I recently renovated a chair for my Mum I found the maker's initials on it - those were JS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if they knew each other!
      Thea x

      Delete
  6. The chairs are so pretty, Thea. Did you like the AS paint?. Haven't used it yet, I made my own chalk paint but I hear good things about it. Thank you so much for your kind words to me. I appreciate them as usual..Happy Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy
      Yes the paint went on very well, I only applied one coat, apparently it can be watered down if you want a shabby look, you are very clever to make your own, you could start "Judy's paint"
      Thea x

      Delete
  7. Hello Thea:
    Well, you have certainly transformed your bargain buy chairs. They do look good, especially with that most attractive fabric which you have used for the seats. They would now grace any table!

    We have discovered you via our dear friend Madelief and we are so pleased to have arrived. We have enjoyed looking back at past posts and have signed up as Followers in order not to miss out on any future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello so glad you found me, you are very welcome
      Thea x

      Delete
  8. They're looking absolutely lovely. I must try that paint :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look great Thea! I painted our dining chairs a few weeks ago but we only have four and I am searching for two similar to yours that will paint up but I am finding it really difficult finding any that arent too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh those chairs look fabulous, love what you've done with them, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words
      Thea x

      Delete
  11. Hello Thea,
    Your chairs look beautiful Thea and I love that you have given them a 'New life'....
    It is so rewarding and individual doing this with older piece's don't you think.
    I have covered a hall way chair with Laura Ashley,Rose material, I may have a go painting it up too, you have inspired me!! hehe..
    Have a lovely rest of week!
    LoVe Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a transformation, they look so nice with the new coat of paint and the pretty fabric...it's really given them a new lease of life :)
    Magie x

    ReplyDelete

Thank for your lovely messages they make my day,Thea x